Housing Disrepair Claims - Claim Compensation to Your Landlord

If your council or housing association property has problems our housing disrepair lawyers and solicitors are ready to get you the compensation you deserve.

Start your claim today by filling in the form

Claim compensation for disrepair issues

It’s FREE to claim, No Win No Fee

The form takes 20 seconds to complete

We inspect your property for free

Call us at 0161 697 5959 to get one of our expert housing disrepair claims solicitor advice on no win no fee basic.

Request a FREE property inspection to start your housing disrepair claim

By submiting this form you agree to our private policy and being contacted by SSl Solicitors.100% Secure SSL Encryption

Find Out How Much Your Housing Disrepair Claim is Worth It With Our FREE Instant Claim Calculator.

Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair means if the rented property where you live is in bad condition and it needs to repair, therefore that you live safe and sound. It’s your landlord’s responsibility to provide you with a suitable environment to live in.

We have helped thousands of clients with their council housing disrepair claims. Achieving thousands of pounds in compensation for clients and making houses a home again with high standard repair works. We listen and care about your housing needs and deliver the results you deserve.

We believe in ‘Justice for tenants’. That’s why our panel of solicitors mainly try to fund claims on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. We monitor our competitors’ success fees and charging rates to offer our clients the right deal for the legal services they need, meaning more money for you.

Can You Get Evicted From the Property for Making a House Disrepair Claim?

Absolutely not, as long as you are still fulfilling your obligations under the tenancy agreement, i.e. keeping up with rent payments. If you keep up payments on your end of the tenancy agreement but your landlord fails to keep up their end of the agreement by not making the necessary repairs then this will significantly strengthen the claim you make.

Can You Get Evicted?

As a tenant, you should report the issue to your landlord straight away. If you have already done this and your landlord has not responded to you or arranged for the repairs within 2-3 months then you are well within your rights to make a claim for housing disrepair.

What Types of Housing Disrepair Can You Claim Compensation for?

Anything that is more than merely cosmetic and it’s hazardous to health. Typical examples are:

Find Out if You’re Eligible to File a NO WIN, NO FEE Disrepair Claim Today

Do you rent a property with physical defects, such as leaks and mould on the walls and ceilings?

If so, don’t worry. Housing disrepair solicitors are here to assist you with getting the compensation that you deserve. We can help you with all of the below and more on a NO WIN – NO FEE basis.
10 warning signs of mould Toxicity

Very compensation for damp & mould

Damp and mould can cause serious health and structural problems in a property. If your landlord is responsible for fixing the issue and they have failed to do so, you may be entitled to compensation. Document the issue, make a claim to your landlord or the courts, and get our experts advice. Your landlord is responsible for providing a safe and habitable living environment, and compensation may be due if they have failed in this obligation.
housing disrepair claims for water leaks

Compensation for leaking ceilings, roofs & tiles

If you are a tenant and experiencing leaks in the ceiling, roof or tiles, it is likely that your landlord is responsible for fixing the issue. A leaking roof or ceiling can cause significant damage to a property, including water damage, mould growth, and even structural damage. If your landlord has failed to address the issue and you have suffered loss or damage as a result, you may be entitled to compensation. To claim compensation, you should document the issue, including any damage or loss you have suffered, and take photos or videos to demonstrate the extent of the problem. You can then make a claim to your landlord or the courts.

Compensation for electrical safety issues

Poorly maintained home can cause physical or mental health issue to you and your family. The Disrepair can cause a direct injury, a direct health issue or exacerbate an ongoing condition. A gas leak, water leak, mould, damp, a broken step or a vermin/ mice infestation are all examples of disrepair that can cause health issues to you and your family . If you or members of your family have suffered from any health issues as a direct result of the poor conditions in your home, we want to help you. You deserve to be happy and healthy in the place that you live, your health is paramount and at times you may not be sure if your health is affected, Our experts can help.

Compensation for leaks from your heating system

As a tenant, you have the right to expect that your landlord will keep the heating and hot water system in good condition. This includes ensuring that the boiler is checked regularly and a gas safety certificate is produced at least once a year.
More Details

Compensation for rats, vermin & cockroaches

Under the law, your landlord is responsible for ensuring that your rental property is properly maintained. This includes addressing any pest or vermin infestations that may arise, as these can pose serious health and safety risks. In some cases, the landlord may be held liable for the infestation if it was caused by a pre-existing disrepair issue, such as a hole in the building that the landlord failed to repair. However, if the vermin were present when you moved into the property, the responsibility may fall on you as the tenant.
More Details
Housing disrepair claim for rotten windows

Compensation for loose or rotten windows & doors

Living in a property with structural defects can be a serious safety risk. If you are a tenant in social housing and your landlord has neglected to repair such defects, resulting in an unsafe or unhealthy living environment, we are here to assist you. Our team of housing disrepair specialists can help you claim for the necessary repairs and compensation if your landlord has failed to address the structural defects even after being notified of the issue.
More Details

Landlords Have a Duty to Keep Your Home in an Adequate State of Repair.

If there are defects that are more than cosmetic then you can expect it to be rectified within a reasonable timeframe which depends on the nature of the disrepair. If this does not happen then you are entitled to make a housing disrepair claim which can include the following:

Why SLS Solicitors

SLS solicitors have decades of experience dealing with housing disrepair claims and claimant and defendant litigation work. They are a confident team of lawyers to have on your side.

SLS solicitors have recovered thousands in compensation for their clients. SLS lawyers have a fantastic 5-star google review and are trusted by their clients.

SLS solicitors, do it right, work well with others and take the lead.

Client Reviews

 natisha antionette
natisha antionette
Read More
First of all I would like to say how fantastic SLS solicitors are and if you are looking for a solicitor that will have good communication and are reliable i will say look no further!! From the moment I found SLS solicitors on Google i new they was the right company that will help me sort out my housing situation. Rebecca and her colleagues are fantastic and had explain every thing to me step by step and always kept me updated..xx
 Shadi Shambayati-Ghajar
Shadi Shambayati-Ghajar
Read More
Highly highly recommend working with these guys if you’re a tenant that needs representation and/or legal advice. Sheik and his team provided thorough communication and reassurance with my claim- thank you!
 Talisha Deans
Talisha Deans
Read More
Rebecca Barnes has been amazing through the whole process in dealing with my case, even when it was over she was still very helpful in continuously pursing my case
 Ruth Swain
Ruth Swain
Read More
Ashley was very efficient, friendly, gets the job done. Highly recommended
 خالد الحميد
خالد الحميد
Read More
I have found SLS to be utterly professional and they have resolved my issue i want to thank all the members of the SLS team in general, especially Soliciter Rebecca

Find Out How Much Your House Disrepair Claim is Worth With Our FREE Instant Claim Calculator.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are living in social housing and you have been suffering from damp and/or mould in your home that your landlord has failed to address, then yes. You’re likely able to claim for compensation.

Our solicitors can help you assess the issue in your home by sending over an expert before getting started with your claim, to help you get the compensation and repair is needed.


Mould and damp can cause serious illness to adults, children and the elderly. Respiratory conditions are common after regular exposure to mould and damp and we have found that many of our clients have suffered from asthma they developed while they were living in these conditions. Your current conditions can also be a exacerbated and new ones developed:

  • Aggravated asthma,
  • Eczema,
  • Chest and nasal congestion,
  • Coughing, sneezing and wheezing,
  • Sore throat,
  • Watering, dry or sore eyes,
  • Skin irritation
  • Headaches,
  • Pneumonia,
  • Upper respiratory tract infections,
  • Anxiety and depression,
  • Gastrointestinal problems, Carbon monoxide poisoning,
  • Trips and falls on poorly maintained stairs and carpets,
  • Electrocution.

You deserve to live in a safe home that doesn’t cause you or your family any form of illness. So, if you’re suffering from asthma or another condition caused by damp and mould then get in touch. Our housing disrepair team will work together with our respiratory disease specialists to get you the repairs you need as well as get you the compensation for your illness that you deserve.


As per your tenancy agreement, this would be a breach of your tenancy so you must continue to pay rent.

If you do you refuse access to your landlord, this is also a breach of your tenancy agreement. If you have a solicitor instructed, please take further advice as soon as possible.

We collect details of your property and its disrepair over the phone or email and then arrange an appointment with a surveyor to view your property.

The surveyor will make a report of the disrepair – this is a free report and will not cost you anything. We then act for you; we request disclosure from your landlord and serve the agreed disrepair report. We then get the work and force your landlord to complete the schedule of work agreed to a high standard. We also get you the compensation you deserve.

You are entitled to compensation if you suffer from disrepair, notified your landlord about the disrepair and they haven’t fixed the issue in reasonable time or are ignoring you.


We offer free, no-obligation advice to everyone who contacts us a standard. If you’re unsure, you can receive advice over email – just fill in our contact form or send us an email: ######

You also can carry out triage or an inspection of your home. This is a free, no-obligation report of your disrepair.

The compensation value is based on its own merits which take into account:

  • Type of disrepair,
  • Length of disrepair,
  • Notices made,
  • Inconvenience caused,
  • Loss of belongings,
  • Any expenses,
  • Age of the tenant,
  • Vulnerable occupants,
  • Any health issues,
  • Defendants response/defence,
  • Litigation risk.

The disrepair which falls into section 11 repairs will need to be carried out by your landlord and we will make sure this is done to a high standard. Prior to this, you will agree a schedule of work to be carried out by the landlord and these will need to be completed within reasonable and agreed timescale.


No, your landlord cannot punish you or evict you for seeking what you’re entitled to. Revenge of action by your landlord will not be accepted by the court.

The Ministry of Justice’s pre-action protocol for housing conditions claims (England) should be followed in all cases.

Once the tenant has issued the letter of claim, the landlord should reply within 20 days of receipt of the letter. The landlord’s response should include whether a single joint expert is agreed or whether the landlord agrees to a joint inspection.

If the landlord does not respond within 20 working days of receipt of the letter of claim or not at all, there is a breach of the protocol and the tenant is then able to issue proceedings against the landlord.