Landlord and Tenant Responsibilities on Repairs – Disrepair Help

Repair responsibilities of your Social Landlord or Private Landlord

From a statutory point of view, under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, the landlord is under a duty to keep in repair things such as :

  • Exterior and structure of the house – this can include any pipes, walls, the roof, drains, windows and external doors
  • Any utility fixtures, for example, fitted heaters, boilers, gas meters, water and gas pipes, water tanks and electrical wirings
  • Basins, sinks, toilets and any pipes connected to them

Your landlord can be held accountable for any of these responsibilities to repair.

There is no way for them to escape these responsibilities, even if your tenancy agreement states otherwise. Contact expert housing disrepair solicitors, they help you in your claim case.

The landlord should not under any circumstances place the burden of any relevant costs on the tenant. They also must deal with any disrepairs within a reasonable timescale, depending on the severity of the disrepair.

Sometimes, the tenancy agreement might contain clauses which state that the landlord will be responsible for repairs in relation to any faulty appliances such as fridges or washing machines. The tenant must ensure they are aware of any such clauses.

Health and safety responsibilities include things such as mould, damp, pest infestation, gas safety, and fire safety and the landlord has a responsibility to take action as needed. If the landlord does not repair the issues contact the housing disrepair team for a compensation claim.

For tenancies that began on or after the 15th of January 1989, these responsibilities also extend to any common parts of a building such as entrance halls, stairs and lifts.

Also Read: What is Housing Disrepair

Your repair responsibilities as a Social Tenant or Private Tenant

Tenants also have responsibilities towards the home they occupy and any repairs and conditions in that home.

These are :

  • Maintaining the home in a reasonably clean manner
  • Carrying out safety checks on any appliances they own
  • Looking after gardens/outside areas in a reasonable manner
  • Take care of any minor maintenance such as changing light bulbs or smoke alarm batteries

Ensure you report any housing disrepair claims to your landlord as soon as possible to make a claim as a tenant,

You should consider using more than one form of communication and also keeping records of every notice to the landlord.

If you have not received a response from your landlord within a reasonable time, you can consider chasing up the landlord.

You can also complain to the council (if applicable), or take legal action to get compensation for any damages.

What you can do if your landlord ignores your complaints

Before anything, it is worth having a formal discussion with the landlord about why they are ignoring the complaints.

We recommend that you take notes of everything being discussed. If that has no success, there are ways in which a tenant can get the landlord’s attention :

  • Making a formal complaint by way of writing a letter to the landlord; include any issues there are, any action expected from the landlord and all the proof of communication between tenant and landlord
  • Complain to the council by writing them a letter outlining the issues at hand and any attempts to contact the landlord in relation to these issues

Also Read: Damp effect on health

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *